Monday, July 23, 2007

Welcome to Blauburn

Welcome to Blauburn, which is kind of shorthand for Auburn Blog. The other meaning refers to how development in our town sometimes proceeds as a result of our arcane zoning laws, planning process (there’s a plan and a process??) and rule by committee.
My name is Charles (Chuck) Olson, Precinct 2 town meeting member. I’d like to use this entry to introduce myself. I’ve lived in Auburn for a good portion of my 40 something years. I choose to do so because I like where I’m living and think the town has a nice blend of character and I feel connected to my neighbors and neighborhood. I’ve worked as a computer engineer in R&D since graduating from WPI with a degree in electrical engineering. The nature of my work is that it’s very dynamic and it’s cyclical (up and down) so sometimes people find it hard to keep track of what company I’m working with. I’ve worked both independently (as a consultant) and a full-time employee, which I am now for Ericsson (the Swedish mobile telephony company). I have a family who I am very fond of and enjoy living a family life with here in town.
I’m going to try and focus this blog on town issues, both on things I think we need to do and things I like about the town. I might enter a few things on national issues once in a while. You might find my political views somewhat hard to predict. That’s because I fashion myself more a pragmatist (surprise surprise for an engineer ;) than an ideologue. Simply put I think populist common sense and ingenuity addresses issues at hand more effectively than trying to adhere to a particular religious or political viewpoint. That’s not to say I don’t have definite opinions on immigration, foreign and trade policy, gun rights, gay marriage, crime, terrorism, health care, civil rights, liberties and responsibilities etc. But I’m more likely to expound on zoning, planning, schools, community and the actions of our town officials here with a few other tidbits added in.
Anyway, welcome to Blauburn!

1 comment:

jepaquette@charter.net said...

Lots or luck on you blog/website Chuck!