Friday, November 7, 2008

Gore urges Obama to focus on power grid

Link

This is a great idea. I think focusing on efficiency is a no brainer, low controversy idea that has obvious benefits.

Kind of ironic I see this today after the power failure last night. We lost it on Wallace from 530 til around 8.

Couple of observations: Rt 12 area rarely loses power over the years - almost a bullet proof zone. For some reason our side of town loses it almost 3 or 4 times a year. It's causing me to reconsider using VoIP because without cell coverage (which is spotty but does exist for Verizon in my neighborhood), I would be without phone. Not to mention no power, no heat.

Also when I lived in Oxford this almost never happened. I wonder about the state of the power grid in town - seems kind of rickety and antiquated.

It'd be nice to have overlay map capabilities for this - someone mentioned GIS. I think this is good, although working in something like this to Google Earth with muni data would be ideal - I like their interface.

No comments: