Thursday, September 6, 2007

Citizens policy academy - a good take

Just a note to reiterate the citizens police academy is coming up again according to the Auburn News this week.

I took this course last year and wanted to share a few impressions. I think when I did it, it was 8 weeks, usually lasting around 3 hours a night one night a week. Each night there was a different topic, ranging from informational issues like Identity theft, to CPR cert, even a LTC firearms course which can be used for credit in obtaining a Mass LTC. We also got a tour of the Worcester county house of corrections (believe me you don't want to go there again if you can help it).

One of the highlights is a "ride-along" for a shift with an officer. Mine was on the weekend from 4 to 10. For most of the night it was uneventful with a few traffic stops. Towards the end things really happened quite quickly, we got involved in several calls including a B&E in progress (was a definite adrenalin rush for me) as well as right afterwards we raced across town for a domestic dispute.

I liked the fact we got to know just what was going on in town (at times maybe I didn't realize it), as well as the officers themselves. You realize just how normal and like us they are, the everyday issues they deal with as well as the life and death ones. I appreciate more now the level of service they provide for the town, the professional knowledge they possess, how they work as a team and the mostly thankless work they do daily. I think I also learned a bit more about issues of safety and awareness for children, neighbors and myself.

The link to the police website is here, and the police academy page here. It starts this month so sign up soon!

No comments: