Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Water issues - we need it

Several folks I know on our side of town are having issues with their wells. Precip is down more than 6 inches under normal in the past few months and we really need the rain.

One thing I noticed is that Dark Brook Res seems to be kept fairly high although the brook that drains it into Lower Stoneville has gone dry. I'm curious what the policy is there. People should let the AWD know they are affecting wells in the drainage of that body of water. Since the Eddy Pond dam fiasco, water has been in the news lately a lot. Here's to hoping for a good rain storm soon!

One potential good aspect is that Upper Stoneville (US Res) is down enough to allow doing work on walls and such near the water for several folks I know. Also it might even help the weed control efforts if it stays down for the winter months. Across town at Dark Brook Res by the boat ramp it is pretty low and the smell is getting bad from it. I've seen them drain that water this summer already though, again it's interesting why these things occur when they do - I have no idea. Also no word as far as a water ban or whatever from the AWD but I'd think it's becoming an issue for the town as well.

Generally better communication between the Water District and residents is in order, either via the CATV, interweb, mail or some combination.

It's been mentioned before in this blog but having an association covering the three reservoirs in that drainage would enable discussion of these issues and a common voice. It might end up costing $50 or $100 a year but I think it would be worth it to address cleanup and improvement of the whole area.

Contact me via the blog if you are interested in formation of an association.

No comments: