Thursday, March 20, 2008

Charter draft is out

I guess they're putting in for something on the May warrant, although they may change that and withdraw it if it's not ready.

The big change is having a town manager, a professional who need not be a resident (rather than limit the pool of eligible persons). The town manager would be the head of the day to day running of the town government, with complete budgetary authority, and authority to hire/fire department heads. Although as many have mentioned, firing would still not be that easy.

I think it's a very positive step by the committee and I will review it carefully as I consider my vote in town meeting. It looks pretty good so far to me! Accountability day to day would be greatly improved in my opinion. The number of elected positions would be decreased, hopefully reducing the number of little kingdoms among town departments. The promise is that the efficiency and effectiveness of our town government would be improved.

The school department is still treated separately from the rest of the town.

The draft is here.

No comments: