Monday, May 12, 2008

Migraines not just a pain

There's some evidence they are a risk factor for stroke and heart attack according to this story.

As someone who's suffered from them in the past (my mom had them, Eleena also gets them from time to time) it's concerning. Apparently blood vessels pulsate during the headache and they may lead to other more serious issues as they get damaged. As they put it in the article, it's likely a risk factor like smoking, obesity, cholesterol etc for heart and blood pressure problems.

At the least the headaches can be debilitating. When I had them bad I just had to sit or lay in a dark quiet room sometimes for hours until they passed. At this point I only get the "lights" portion; fortunately the pain part of it is passed for me.

There's a group on Myspace for support here.

New England Regional Headache Center is in Worcester. The link is here.

No comments: