Thursday, May 1, 2008

Strange town meeting

Kind of dysfunctional and disorganized I thought if anyone saw it. If you were there in person you felt it.

I as usual asked a difficult question (seems to be my role in life) that no one dared answer. I think the finance committee and admin expected everyone to buy into the "gee times are tough, thanks for being here, now sign here" speech. Actually it was a fair question I ask of everyone (highway whoever) SHOW ME, with respect to the proposed SC budget. I thought the lack of line item breakdown displayed an inability to deal with or suggest where to cut so I balked, it's just an instinct. Trust and verify, it's part of my nature as an engineer.

The bigger problem was the school committee's proposal and their recommendation was so far apart that I think TM felt that it was unfair to allow such a disparity without at least acknowledging it.

I for one was part of and agree with the strategic plan effort underway. As a TM member though, a 20% increase was out of line with economic times and just reality. In a sense I think if the SC wanted that much more they should try for another override. Whether it passes or not well that's another story. We obviously have to do something to improve things there's no question. And the numbers for Auburn look pretty bleak, both in terms of the trend for funding the schools over the past 5 years and the test scores and bad marks for our system.

Luckily a senior TM member moved things along and we adjourned til Monday. Funny because some of the original presenters had contingency plans in place for subsequent meetings. I don't know if they were prescient or just figured there was so much on the warrant (39 items).

Just glad to get out before midnight because I feared it would drag on til the wee hours.

2 comments:

Reconcilio said...

I enjoyed reading up on events in Auburn. I like your approach. Keep up the good work.

CT Olson said...

thanks ... just my view but I try to be fair and keep up with things