Monday, September 15, 2008

Some Bryn Mawr history

My son is at Bryn Mawr again this year.

Over the weekend I found out a few pieces of information about it. The first class to go into Bryn Mawr was in 1949. My aunt as it turns out was one of the first. At that time, there was only Bryn Mawr and the 8th (I think or 6th?) grade up went to the new wing on the high school.

Also, my late great uncle Werner Bylund reviewed the plans for Bryn Mawr, as Mrs Cutting, who was on the school board at the time only trusted him with the drawings! He found a few things and told them they might have trouble with the roof, which they did. He also designed blueprints for the old Hillcrest dairy building and the Post home which is across the street from the Farmer's Daughter.

I wasn't aware that the school is 60 years old next year - we should have a 60th party for it ;). I went there in 1970 for first grade.

It certainly can use some updates, and is overcrowded (witness the use of trailers).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ct,
We had quite a 50th Birthday celebration. I was on the birthday committee. I have the book we had done at the time. I would be happy to let you see it.
A 60th sounds great

CT Olson said...

that'd be great! We should resurrect some of that for a 60th recognition. My wife's volunteering at the library there and might be able help put a little exhibit together (don't want to sign her up without checking but she's great at stuff like that).